Vidya Bala's Blog

Search My Blog

Add RSS Feed

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

should we change sql to meet ANSI 99 standards

I should say in all my years as both a Production and Development DBA I have very rarely seen my developers follow the most latest ANSI standard guide during sql development. Considering that most of us are on crunch time always with Application Development. Anyways I had the question posted to me " Shouldnt we change our sql to meet ANSI 99 compliance".

my 2 cents would be "No" - I really see the need to change the SQL if we were migrating say from Oracle to SQL Server for portability reasons. For the most bit Oracle version specific SQL development guides should be ANSI compliant and that should be enough - but then its just the way I have seen things work. Anyone run into the same issue - would be good to know.

2 Comments:

  • ;-) I think this too, I am writting Oracle SQL, and use the power of Oracle Analytics, among others.

    Still SQL is a standard and it should be understandable by a non-oracle dba/developer.

    By Blogger Laurent Schneider, at 2:14 AM  

  • Some thoughts about this topic on my blog.

    By Blogger Eddie Awad, at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home