Vidya Bala's Blog

Search My Blog

Add RSS Feed

Thursday, December 21, 2006

ASM and NetApp Filer

Link to ASM and NetApp

I have been spending the last few days looking into what advantages we would have using ASM on a NFS mount as opposed to having the database files directly on NFS. If your on RAC then ASM is mandatory but for non RAC 10g instances and NetApp - ASM is not mandatory.

The biggest benefit I see is volume management features with ASM.

does this mean I can change volume sizes etc actually online ? may be IO balancing across different volumes an added feature. I am walking into a totally new area (ASM on any kind of direct attach storage I can for sure see it being beneficial on NFS I am not so sure?)

anybody with sucess stories?

2 Comments:

  • All this while I was thinking the same ASM and NFS are mutually exclusive.
    The link below , however talks about
    implementing ASM on NFS. I am not sure if it makes sense.

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/pdf/netapp_asm3329.pdf

    We are on Standard Edition - so if we go the RAC route ASM is mandatory, for the non RAC route it is not mandatory. We dont plan to use RAC.

    So the questions is - we already have our volumes on the NetApp all defined (they are used for several applications not just Oracle databases) the volumes are NFS mounted. If we decide to go ASM without NFS - will we have to redefine volumes etc?

    By Blogger Vidya Balasubramanian, at 7:59 AM  

  • Thank you so much that was good information . Redefining volumes(for ASM without NFS) - I may get some push back on this . However , it is part of my job to put out all the options we have on table - most likely the solutions architect will let us know if it is feasible or not.

    Thanks again for all your input.

    By Blogger Vidya Balasubramanian, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home